Monday, May 4, 2009

Now Take Care of Yourself!

The break up is over, you've cleaned and redecorated the house/apartment, now you're on your own and it's all about you! What a great time to get yourself in shape. And I don't only mean physically. However, once the physical's achieved the emotional fitness is sure to follow. Nothing gives more joy and pride than getting yourself in shape...you wind up with a great new confidence level. This I know from personal experience...I just lost 240 pounds! 40 of my own and 200 of his! And I feel great.

It starts with nutrition which cannot begin unless you are really ready to commit. I was ready when I couldn't breathe when bending down to get a shoe on. It was my New Year's pledge and I've truly lost 40 pounds since Jan. 1st. I cut out wheat---haven't eaten bread, pasta, rice, etc. since that date. I focused on protein, salad, vegetables, and fruit. Also--roasted almonds are on my counter at all times. I drink water, especially with crushed ice since that fulfills the need to chew. I take Hoodia and an Acai Berry pill everyday around 3:00pm---keeps the energy up. But most importantly--I keep moving!

I begin each morning with an excercise routine I've been doing for years. It's really a combination of Pilates and other stretching exercises, but it takes about 20 minutes and it loosens me up for the day. This is followed by walking my dogs around the park for approximately a mile. I then go into the gym that is in my building and work three different machines over a ten minute period (the stair, the treadmill and the bike). I follow this with 10 more minutes of weight lifting machines and 50 sit-ups. A quick change once back in my apartment into a bathing suit, and I'm into the pool for 20 laps across. When done I allow myself 20 minutes in the sun which I read was actually healthy and as a result have the best tan ever---even a dermatologist complimented me.

The important thing about all this is the fact that nothing intimidates. I only do a few minutes of machines, but I do three of them. The same with the weights and the weight lifting machines. I set them on numbers that I can manage---not on numbers that will defeat me. Finally, when I began the swimming I could barely get through 2 laps. But I added a few more each day and now I'm ready to increase the 20 laps. When we set realistic goals for ourselves we are more likely to succeed than if we try for too much too fast.

As a result of all the activity any ailments that were hanging around are gone and my energy level is back to the "me" I was before having breast cancer with complications and allowing a weight gain. As a result of all this working out my body doesn't hang from weight loss, or look bony from malnutrition. Best of all I'm no longer getting ready for bed at 7:00pm. I'm at the computer with all kinds of writing and stuff so that I don't get into bed too early and make multiple trips to the refrigerator at night. I'm typing this at 10:30pm and I have only a glass of water with ice by me.


I relayed all this to all of you so that maybe some ONE person out there becomes motivated to do the same. GET RID OF ALL THE TOXINS IN YOUR BODY AND IN YOUR LIFE. Be patient with yourself--don't let some relaxation or cheating get you down---just get right back 'on the wagon'. What you are doing is not a 'diet' it is a change of lifestyle. And once you don't feel 'weighed' down by excess, you are ready to have fun again---maybe with a new mate, maybe with your very wonderful friends, or maybe just with your 'lil ol self'!

And guys and gals, I'm having trouble finding the comments that so many of you have told me you've written. Be sure and sign your names because I guess they won't print comments that are made anonymously. Tune in next week same time for another session.

Mimi Scott, Ph.d
954 926-0133
917 846-2449

visit me at:www.drmimiscott.com

3 comments:

Eleanor Bogart said...

Wonderful. I feel your zest and spirit in tact. Inspirational. Went to the gym yesterday for the
1st time in 2+ yrs. I need to take care of myself again. Have been so consumed with my father, family strife, little sleep and isolation.
Thanks for the reminders.
Love and hugs!

Unknown said...

Well, I am off to a pilates session at Equinox. I didnt want to go since my relationship ended Monday night. I am absolutely a mess - but off to the gym, Mimi.

LYNNIA ALLISON said...

We have been friends over 20 years. Don't be hard on upiurse;lf for holding back grief. You have kept biusy and followed your dreamx afer losing the love of your life. You have done an outstanding job and bring light the way for others by sharing your innermose intimatre feelings with others in a beautiful way.
Barry is wachting you proudly as he always did.

Happy you arrived safley with the pups, and am sure you will enjoy the summer with your children and whomever flies into your life.

With loving wishes to you, my dear friend, I send you love and light
Lynnia