Sunday, August 2, 2009

SENIOR ONLINE DATING

I found that after I ended my relationship last Spring, it was as though someone called the internet and told them I was single. Every online dating service appeared on my emails---JDate, Match.com, Cupid.com and on and on it went. I wasn't however in any way ready to start 'dating' again, especially since I was staying at our lake home in upstate New York for only two months, so I didn't think it made sense to start while I was there. But then I saw SeniorPeopleMeet.com, and I thought well maybe that would make sense.

So I uploaded a picture my friend Paula had taken of me while I spent three days in New York City before traveling the last leg of my trip to upstate New York. Not quite a professional headshot, but a really good shot nevertheless. Well I guess the viewers thought so as well as I began getting a lot of 'hits'. Indeed one fella wanted to fly up just so he could ride back to Florida with me as I was driving back alone. His picture was great and he did seem like a nice guy, but too much too soon would not be the best way to begin going back on the dating scene. He told me however that as soon as I would return, he would drive the 1 and 1/2 hour trip from Naples, on the west coast to see me. There was even an email waiting for me when I arrived back here wanting to know where I was. I emailed him and called him to let him know I was indeed back...did you hear from him???? I never did.

All this brought back to mind earlier dating when guys tell you constantly that 'they'll call you' and maybe after your funeral they may send condolences.
Nevertheless, I continued to check out fellas both in this senior network and on a site called PlentyofFish.com (which is free) from 55-65 and within 25 miles from me here in Hollywood, Florida. So of course I got several 39 year olds and 42 year olds as well as legitimate seniors who were living in Wisconsin, Illinois, Maine, etc. So much for trying to set your own limits.

At any rate, back in sunny Florida where the youth are tanned and beautiful and the seniors who haven't destroyed themselves with cosmetic surgery, look pretty damned good too, I decided to really try and find a nice fella who will maybe make it into relationship status. The only thing about this is, I'm here to see clients, get a musical I wrote up in the condos, do a character role on an upcoming internet/ TV show, run a couple groups and religiously write this blog! No way can I spend the day on the computer answering all the 'hits'. To date online means to make whatever work you do secondary. Yet it can be fun, and also very funny.

First the picture is all important. If one doesn't choose to have one up---fuhgetaboutit! And usually when they do it's a deal breaker. The thing I find most amazing is why a senior guy (or gal I suppose) would post a picture at age 64 which you know was taken at age 44. I mean--what are they thinking? The combovers by the way are a definite 'no no'. One guy whose picture I recently looked at had a really good looking face, however he chose to sit with his arms wrapped around the back of a chair and there were no clothes on to hide the flab that was hanging out all over. I mean c'mon...

Nevertheless I've had two outings. One with a lovely guy with whom I had absolutely no chemistry, but who told me the best jokes I've heard in quite some time--and he told them very well. The next one I will be seeing again. In fact we had such a comfortable time---he was a New York guy who had been into theatre and who ran groups. Ya think maybe we have something in common?? At any rate the lettuce from the salad I was eating got caught in my upper back teeth. Now normally I would try to survive without having to remove it, but on this occasion I couldn't take another bite of the delicious salad since I had no room for anymore in my mouth! So I just told him what was going on and got it out! The best part however, was describing to each other what we do for our daily workouts. I told him I did the stairmaster, the treadmill and the bike and then I lifted weights. He said he did the same machines and then we started to show each other across the table with our arms going in all directions, which weight pulls we use. When I stopped laughing I knew that this is what I was going to blog about this week.

Who knows? And ya know what---we're seniors--so why would we wait to cuddle...I mean either of us may be gone by the next date...so let's live it up while he can and while I have the strenth!

I hope you enjoyed this session as much as I did detailing it. Tune in next week for some sane topic of discussion.

Dr. Mimi Scott
954 926-0133
917 846-2449
visit me at: www.drmimiscott.com

No comments: