Saturday, June 20, 2009

Scary Diagnosis

This past week I went to see an orthopedic doctor to look at my 'backside' as I had slid down wet stairs the Friday before. I never saw soooo much purple covering my body! A young doctor in the practice had xrays taken and found something that upset him on my hip---so he had more pictures taken. He came back into the exam room to tell me that he was pretty sure it was metastatic breast cancer that had manifested in my hip. He did think he should show the xrays to his partner however, who told him he thought whatever it was, was benign...so this young fellow decided just to set me up with some scans before doing anything else. The MRI proved totally benign and just 'because' I am going for a bone scan this Monday. I now have new respect for aging physicians.

I write about this because it brought back memories of my initial breast cancer diagnosis and I thought I would share the thoughts that 'got me through' at that time, for anyone in receipt of this who is going through something equally scary or who has a relative going through something.

First upon learning of a cancer diagnosis it is important to tell yourself and others that this is not a 'death' sentence and that there is no way you are going to die. Once that thought is in your head, you can proceed to all sorts of decisions. What physician do you want; where do you want to be throughout treatment, and above all what hospital do you want to be at. My family want me to write a review for Zagat of all New York City hospitals since during my sixteen years there I spent time in every single one of them! However, most were for simple procedures (ie: rotator cuffs in each arm at two different hospitals). Bad memories with my beloved husband initially kept me from going to Memorial Sloan Kettering, but after a bad experience at NYU Med, I realized that when it comes to cancer---you cannot do better than Memorial Sloan Kettering. Indeed as it took quite awhile for the MRI results to become official this past week, I was reminded how unbelieveably well Sloan Kettering works. As soon as you become affiliated with them you are given an ID card (just like a credit card). Once in the computer, this card is used for every single visit to the hospital you might make. There is no waiting whatsoever for results of anything. If you have a scan set up for 10:00AM, you have an appointment at 10:20AM with the doctor who ordered the scan as he or she already has your results via the computer. The entire hospital is like a small city and they are on top of everything about you every single second.

Even in the best medical hands however, you still have more decisions. Will your treatment require you to have help to take care of yourself, or can you pretty much go through it on your own. BE AS INDEPENDENT AS YOU CAN BE FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN BE is the best advice I have for anyone. Somehow it keeps you from becoming dependent (I know---I actually lost 'myself' a bit as I had help from wonderful people, but for far too long). Equally important is to make the decision to stay in touch with those who care. Just their calls to you can make a big difference in your recovery. I am sure that my classmates from Albany High School who made calls to me definitely kept a smile on my face and sped up my recovery.

Most important however is to focus throughout on something you love. Sometimes a job keeps you so busy you don't have time to fret, however, often you do. I happen to love everything theatrical. In the past years this love has manifested in writing theatre rather than producing, directing or acting in it as I have done throughout my life. If any energy exists during treatment---use it. Garden, write, listen to music, do the reading you've not 'had time for', create things, or just enjoy the computer. While waiting for my results this week, I focused totally on working with my composer, Adam, who fortunately only had these particular days to work with me. I do not think there is anything that I enjoy doing more than putting my lyrics to music---so this week I was totally provided with the 'something' I love to do.

Finally--keep imagining yourself doing and being whatever you totally enjoy wherever that might be. I knew that if this turned out to be 'anything' this past week, I would take myself right back to Sloan. I therefore would be staying in NYC. I really love my life in Florida, and while I have some of the most beloved people in my life living in NYC, I only kept seeing myself living and thriving back in Florida. I guess it worked!

With it all--keep up a dialogue with the good Lord, and with all those watching out for you 'upstairs'. Nothing beats prayer.

Hope this is helpful--keep the emails coming to let me know-- and if you know anyone who needs an ear---I'm 'still' right here.

Dr. Mimi Scott
518 674-8505
917 846-2449
visit me at: www.drmimiscott.com

1 comment:

Copyright 2010 by Carol Scibelli said...

Great post Mims. You gotta watch those stairs! Look what it started!
Proud of your grace. Love you.
Ca