Sunday, June 28, 2009

REFLECTING ON 'ICONS' AND 'LEADERS'

How could I address anything else this week? The last week here at my lakehouse outside Albany, New York, all that was on the local news was talk of the 'circus' taking place at the Capitol building here over who should be considered head of the Senate and therefore able to take over the governorship if needed. Then of course, there was the explosion about the loss of two of our icons---Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson...not to dismiss the all time best 'second banana' Ed McMahon.

Since the word was used so continually I looked up some definitions of 'icon'. One equated it with 'idol' and the one I liked best was 'an enduring symbol' I actually have my own definition of 'leader' which I shall address below. But 'icon' really intrigues me. For me Farrah Fawcett was the picture of sweetness and sexuality, no matter how excellent she was in " The Burning Bed" or "Extremities". The image of her as an 'angel' with her hair blowing around her will always be her legacy, just as Marilyn Monroe with the white dress blowing up around her will always be the image I keep of her. Both are icons or 'enduring symbols' for me of female beauty and sexuality.

In terms of Michael Jackson, whose work coined the 'pop icon' phrase I would suggest, we also have an 'enduring symbol' not unlike Elvis Presley. Indeed the mourning here of my granddaughter reminds me of how I was at the time of Elvis Presley's death. We both felt that the music that had reached us and had such an impact on our lives had now gone on to eternity. For it was the body of work that is for us 'the enduring symbol' of musical entertainment. It is the songs and in the case of the latter, the videos as well, that we can listen to over and over again and enjoy and emote for the rest of our lives. Interestingly, no matter what the personal side of each was like, the lyrics of their music spoke of love and goodness.

So in case you've been caught up in the coverage of Michael's weirdness, perversion, drug use and financial cunning, just put on 'Thriller' and no matter how old you are, realize that you can appreciate the greatness of the music, lyrics and dancing of this truly iconic entertainer who will be considered in years to come, an 'enduring symbol' of the music world, just as Leonardo DaVinci is in the art world..and I know absolutely nothing about his personal life. I only know how I felt when I stood looking at the 'Mona Lisa' in Paris.

Regarding our 'leaders' on all levels, what impressed me the most this past week was an article written by Rudy Guiliani in the NY Times. In it he gives specifics about what he can see being done to reconstitute our state government. There are no platitudes in the article, but very ordered instructions as to how we can and should proceed to straighten out what is going on at the New York State Capitol as I write this. He, to me is a 'leader'. He speaks/writes with clarity and specifics. It shows me strengths in the midst of weakness. I really do not care about his personal life. I care about the fact that he very decisively was able to restore us during and after 911...this is his major achievement. These are the qualities I realize I must look for in voting for any 'leader' from Sheriff to President. I no longer am interested in who cheated on their wives the most, but on what they have done in their fields of endeavor to qualify them to 'lead' in any capacity. What have their 'achievements' been? Just to listen to the coverage of the Senators this week really makes me wonder about educational qualifications as well as IQ's. our leaders in the New York State Senate here sound like idiots!! Children sqabbling. I am no longer going to vote right down one side or another, but I am going to try to become very much more aware of the 'achievements' of candidates at every level of government.

I am not dismissing the fact that personal actions and behavior speak of character which is still an important consideration. But before we 'sit in judgement', let us remember the biblical reminder "he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone".

Thanks for reading and letting me speak my peace. I will look forward to your emails with your own various points of view. Maybe it will be fodder for next week's blog when I hope to have an interesting annoucement for you all (no I'm not pregnant!). Have a good week.

Dr. Mimi Scott
518 674-8505
917 846-2449
visit me at: www.drmimiscott.com

No comments: