Sunday, October 31, 2010

WHAT'S REALLY SCARY...

Today is Halloween, but it's not the flying witches that scare me. I'm scared of the 'monsters' posing as 'bullies'. And they are not 'out' just on October 31st. 'Bullying' has recently become a year round epidemic.

A year ago in Florida the news was all about a young fellow around 14 who was set on fire by classmates. This year here in New York, we're hearing about all the bullying of gays, whether
it be by video or by beatings. Of course for years there have been women (and no doubt men too) who are being 'bullied' by their spouses. What can we do about it? How can we save these souls from torture and abuse?

No question counselors and educators are working to put programs together in schools and other community venues that address the problem. Hopefully our legislatures and congress are thinking about drawing up bills for punishing bullying. But I have an additional thought.

This will sound very elementary and naive to all of you who are more sophisticated technically than I. But I've had an idea that I thought I'd throw out and maybe a reader can take it to the next step.

Being of a certain age and living pretty much alone, one is advised to get a medical alert if they are hurt in any way or if they are feeling sick. What it is, is a hook up to a center that responds the minute the person presses the button that he or she is wearing either around the neck or as a bracelet.

I'm wondering, after watching Criminal Minds, and seeing how they have equipment to trace the immediate whereabouts of suspects, if our police departments could not be available to private individuals who feel that they are in danger, and who are willing to wear discreetly, some mechanism that alerts help in an instant. These individuals would be those fearful of spousal abuse, molestation, and bullies, either in the schools, the community, or the deadliest--the home! Lives may be actually saved if this could be put into place. I mean think of those placed in trunks of vehicles, or mothers holding kids in a closet...you get the idea. Cell phones are a start, but I'm talking about a virtual 'button' on one's body.

I know we have home alarms to defend against 'break-ins', but I believe we need an alarm on our actual person, especially if we live in fear. Maybe there is a way for all of us to 'get registered'. I dunno---I'm just one voice who invites your participation.

Not quite a session, but perhaps someone will nevertheless be helped down the line.

Happy Halloween!

Dr. Mimi Scott
212 721-2979
mscott13@aol.com

No comments: