Sunday, October 25, 2009

BEING 'DOWN'

Scholars of 'Depression' present therapists with two points of view. There are those that say 'you must fight it'. Others say to allow it. I have always believed in the latter. I have assessed what patients have told me and let them know that I understand how they must feel and that I can understand the depression. I also have suggested taking time out and just sitting with their depression. Usually after a few days, the patient gets bored with his/her depression and goes out and becomes ready to be himself or herself once again. That is one reason the Jewish tradition of 'sitting shiva' is praised by the profession. It forces mourners to take 'time out' and focus on their grief. Otherwise, scholars say, going right back to work keeps the grief nagging at you and you never really get to deal with it.

At any rate, I was recently quite down. First thing I learned was to keep from diagnosing oneself before you receive a formal diagnosis. Having had cancer one can be 'paranoid'. So when I felt something once again I was sure the 'fat globule' that it turned out to be was cancer. I was also sure that the nodule on my thyroid that doctors had seen was another thing to worry about. It wasn't...there were cysts on the thryroid which are quite common. So there was no need to go though the 'down' time. In actuality, other factors played into it, but it was mostly health worries.

One thing I did was to not force myself to go out with people and have to smile and chatter. I simply was not up to doing it and wound up even 'breaking dates'. Surprisingly everyone understood.

Second thing I did was to keep busy in a solo fashion. I got the paints and the canvases etc., and began to paint. It has to be the most relaxing thing I've ever done! Some may think my work equals that of a fourth grader, but I haven't been disappointed because I'm enjoying it so much.

I have another friend who promised himself when he retired he would play the flute---he's absolutely loving it...so who knows? Maybe that's next. And as you all know I love to write.
My memoir is over 425 pages already and I'm far from complete. I also started to rehearse the one woman show I've been doing, and that always makes me feel good. And you can't go wrong with reading. To complete a book of true value helps tremendously, but even a mindless suspense novel can comfort. Of course having to walk a pet will always at least 'get you out' (as it did me with my four little pals) and perhaps even enjoy nature.

So after some tests were taken and I got the results I truly felt like I had gotten a new lease on life! Now I'm 'manic' again and happy too!

Just thought I'd share with you what worked so that the next time you're 'down' you can be better informed as to what to do.

Hope you enjoyed the session...

Dr. Mimi Scott
917 846-2449

1 comment:

Rosalind said...

Great advice provided with great compassion!