Sunday, October 14, 2012

HANGING IN FOR SUCCESS

           It's been awhile since you've heard from me...and the reason is what I'm going to write about.

           I have been completely overwhelmed with what I'm doing...but I can't complain because
 I'm doing that which every thing in my being has told me to 'hang in' for and 'believe in', and not to 'give up' on.

          All my life I have been active in one or more areas of theatre. While mainly as an actress, I have written, directed and produced theatre pieces, mostly musicals, time and time again.  I have also established a number of theatres.  But about three years ago I wrote a new show called Mah Jongg, The Musical.  Those to whom I talked to about it were very encouraging.  Finally last winter I found the right guy to write my music. He did a stupendous job!  And then we held auditions and cast the five women (I'm the sixth) we needed for the piece.  This was in preparation for a reading we would have to introduce people here in New York, to the musical.  The room was packed and they loved the piece!  We were indeed excited.  Then we heard about a Musical Theater Festival held in the West Village...we applied and were selected...we were thrilled!

         We prepared the 15 minute selection from the show of some scenes and songs and rehearsed. Before we knew it the Festival was here...WE WON!  We won best show; best original score, and I won for best actress.  What a night when the awards (based on audience picks) were announced.
We thought we would get the show directed for places and people to whom we knew it would appeal.Temple groups; JCC's; Jewish women's organizations, dinner theatres and much much more.   With tremendous help from my own daughter we have put together an hour long show for this purposee.
        While readying all this, on a whim I went across the street to the 63rd street Y which houses a beautiful theatre...an Off Broadway one.  Well, the gal to whom I spoke there, related to me; loved my script and loved the song selections I gave her on a CD.  She suggested we rent the theatre there for a five week run from February12th-March 17th.  I was on air!  I had gotten my show into an Off Broadway theatre!!  My cast, my daughter, everyone connected to the show was ecstatic.  Other small theatre producers wondered how in the world I had done this...some of them had been trying to get shows in there forever.  I was so happy, and so oblivious to how very much producing an Off Broadway musical involves--specifically the cost!!  Where was I going to get the money????

        One friend from theatre who had been part of a writer's group I founded several years back decided to invest in my show and gave me the money I needed for my start up costs...she is one wonderful friend and a very talented writer herself.  Now...how do I get the rest???  Well my son brought someone to my attention who is exceptionally knowledgeable of something I had no idea about---online fundraising websites...specifically one called Kickstarter.  He assures me that money can be raised from lots of small donations which can tremendously 'fill the bill'.  So we've made the neccesary video which introduces our show and tells what we're about to viewers....so we are on our way!

       At each juncture I have had doubts---mainly about the cost--but every horoscope I've read in my beloved NY Post (their horoscopes are known to be more on target than any other anywhere) and every prayer I have made to the Good Lord  have all virtually said I should 'hang in' 'believe in' and have 'faith in' this show which I've known from the start was the best piece I have ever written.

The show is funny; has rousing songs and dances, and offers some very useful hints for living for all ages. The topics covered are those to which everyone will relate.  So I'm 'putting it out there' for everyone who knows me and is familiar with my work (if only on this blog), to join in with all those who are already donating online.  There are perks that go along with donations such as tickets to the show; a Mah Jongg key chain developed from my own artwork (specifically a canvass I painted of Mah Jongg tiles) that can be worn with a necklace as well; and of course there are backstage meetings with the cast. Most of all you will be rewarding my effort to 'hang in' and have 'faith in' a product I know you will all love!!  Something which this blog suggests all you readers should think about doing if there is something you have always wanted to do; to write; to find; to accomplish....go for it! Have faith in it---believe in it, and take the steps to make it happen!

         Now here's the link to kickstarter which I truly hope you will all visit ASAP!!

Hope you've enjoyed this session..

Respectfully,

Mimi Scott, Ph.D
212 721-2979
917- 846-2449
mscott133@aol.com
http://sessionswithdrmimiscott.blogspot.com

No comments: