Tuesday, March 15, 2011

PREPARING FOR THE BIG CUT..

Something will be CUT out this Thursday (HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY)...but it will be REPLACED! I'll be saying good bye to the knee I've been walking around with these past 70 years (well, I haven't really been walking around with it these past several months). BUT, I'll be greeting a new one (don't ask me if it is a gel one, I haven't found out yet). Of course I'll be moving around like a robot (you wouldn't believe all the equipment you go home with!), but a PT person will be around several times a day for a few weeks and then I can go to a local PT place. A nurse too will be visiting me repeatedly.

I'm having it cut out, otherwise known as 'surgically removed', at the Hospital for Joint Diseases on the corner of 17th and 2nd here in NYC. Dr. Joe Bosco (actually from Albany) will be doing the destruction and construction. The only thing I'm worried about is Lucie...I don't want her to miss me too much (I lost one dog of a broken heart, Coconut, when Kramer died. I don't want Lucie's heart to break when I go out the door. I'll have to talk to her on the phone so she knows I'm alive. Lorilu lives in another planet so she won't even notice I'm gone.).

So right now I'm ready to prepare, but I have to wait until they call me with the details tomorrow evening. I don't even know if I'm supposed to bring a night gown or pajamas. I can't imagine a pajama bottom getting over the knee, so I would think in terms of night gowns, but they will probably wind up being the stunning 'gowns' that the hospital gives you. I will bring my makeup however---I don't want to scare any visitors or even hospital personel. And I will bring my brush. Are any of you out there of a 'certain age' experiencing hair problems? When I wake
up mornings you do not want to be there. I look like I just stepped on an electrical plug! You know---the Albert Einstein look. It's terrible. So, the brush will definitely come. And the tooth brush as well as tooth paste. What do you think about slippers? I wear my open sneaks as my slippers....I think that's what I'll bring. But I can't go home in a night gown! What should I take to go home...I'm so fat already from not being able to move around as I always did, that I don't think I have a pair of sweat pants to fit. Guess I'll have to get a men's large to wear home.

Other than that, I have my dear little Jenny staying with the pups, (she cleans for me as well, so the apartment will look terrific when I return), and my dear friend from early theatre days, Justine, staying right beside me. She's a counselor, so she can calm me down periodically when I 'freak out'.

Thanks for listening---hope you have a great St Patrick's day---you know what I'll be doing to celebrate....can you drink with vicodin??

Love y'all...Hope you enjoyed my session.

Mimi---you know the doctor thing.
917 846-2449

2 comments:

Carol Scibelli said...

How long will you be in the hospital, Mims? Will call ya...
Love ya,
Ca

Anonymous said...

from one who expeerienced the big cut I say this; do all the exercising you are told to do and then some. It is not easy but you are up for the task I know. Wishing you all the strength you need to get through this latest challenge and sending you lots of loveDi