Friday, September 25, 2009

THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS..

This past week was a week from hell! The cold I developed the week before this one morphed into a sinus infection that produced a headache such as I had never experienced. What made the week a horror for me however was all that I had to deal with while in this state.

I'm in the midst of trying to solidify a loan modification on my lakehouse which if made permanent will allow me to keep it. They periodically have no information for me on the status of this loan, or they need, on an immediate basis, my whole financial life's records. That was what came up this week.

I had to meet an October 15th tax extension for 2008 with a brand new accountant here in Florida and get every bit of paperwork to his office within a day of getting the appointment.

I am still desperately seeking to re-obtain my domain name of 'drmimiscott' for my website that you may recall was stolen. It is impossible to describe the difficulty in attempting to get a voice on the phone to help with this. When I finally did, they too, asked for all sorts of financial records for review for their legal department. Each day of the week I was faxing 12-20 pages of information someplace.

Nevertheless, with a continually throbbing head, I was able to take every assignment to it's current conclusion----why??? Because my homes have always been 'in order' when it comes to record keeping. Since I was a kid, my desk had to be in order for me to proceed with any kind of paper work. Running theatres well before computers, I kept manilla folders on everything and always made a copy of everything I put into effect. My life has always been dominated by lists.

Ironically I find that unless a room is 'in order' I cannot begin any other kind of work. I know many brilliant and accomplished people who work amidst a cluttered atmosphere, but it is my theory that for most people in order to achieve, to any significant extent, the clutter must be removed from one's atmosphere and thus from one's head in order to accomplish.

When I was younger my schoolwork had a plan, and later my theatre experience and my practice were highly organized...but the headaches brought about this week were, before his death, the responsibility of my late husband Barry Scott. On my own since his death, and while my son is without question my mentor and advisor, it is still up to me to 'keep my records in order'. Therefore this week, at a moment's notice, I was able to place my hands on social security, pension, medicare, AARP Rx information, as well as on all checking account statistics, investment records and on and on and on, in order to fax out the relevant papers immediately.

My point...if I was any less 'in order' I would have been totally unable to deal with any of this, especially while sick and still caring for (also on an extremely well planned schedule) my four pups.

So this week I am ' prescribing' for each and every one of you reading this---the development of an orderly life. It not only helps out on a momentary basis, but it also provides a lifetime of satisfaction and accomplishment. And.... it is never too late to redirect these efforts.

Hope my spouting about what has worked for me personally, is not offensive, but truly something that many of you will be open to considering.

Once again I hope you enjoyed this session.

Dr. Mimi Scott
917 846-2449

No comments: